Research alone is academic, unless it is informed by awareness of problems on-farm and supported by extension. To revitalise the agriculture and agro-processing value chain, we have to take our small-holder farms into the hi-tech world of the 21st century.
With this in mind and to improve agricultural productivity during the 2016/17 Financial Year, the KZN DARD’s Agricultural Research Services have a total of 96 registered projects. Topics of these applied research projects include:
- Research projects on aspects of Conservation Agriculture.
- Value adding to processed peach products in the Impendle area
- Potato trials in collaboration with Potato South Africa are being conducted in a number of rural communities
- Sweet potato research in collaboration with UKZN
- Plant disease and weed control experiments
- Indigenous livestock research
- The monitoring of cropping trends via soil surveys to increase macadamia nut production